Sunday, July 10, 2011

Solstice 2011

We went to the summer solstice festival to celebrate our longest day of the year.  We had fun wandering around downtown for an afternoon, but only a few pictures of it.
Everything in Alaska is bigger--the length of our summer days, rocking chairs. . .
 . . . even  radio flyer wagons are bigger!
 Have you seen this masterpiece? It made national news--this is a car built by an Alaskan retired couple (the man is standing behind, wearing red), to exact proportions of a red wagon. Yes, they drive this around town for their fun "cruising" vehicle.
It's pretty amazing to see the details! Do you see the red knobs on the wheels? Those are detergent caps. They really put a lot of work into designing this wagon, and it perfectly holds 2 people.

And while we are talking about the big-ness of our state, here are a few gee whiz facts.
  • Alaska is the largest state in the country. Texas is the second largest. If Alaska were cut in half, Texas would be the third largest. If it is low tide and Alaska is cut into thirds, then Texas is the fourth largest state.
  • Alaska is the state that spans the farthest north, the farthest west . . . and get this . . . the farthest east. The chain of Aleutian Islands (Alaska's tail) crosses the international date line, so we have the eastern most point of land in the United States.
Happy Solstice!

3 comments:

Ioana said...

How fun! I love that red wagon "car". So ingenious! And David is priceless in that huge rocking chair!:)

Oh, Sweet!... said...

WOW! What a treat! I know my boys would be all over the over sized chair and wagaon! So fun! I didn't know any of the Alaska facts you shared...so fun!

John and Jenny said...

I don't know if you will remember me from Springville, years and years ago, but I love your blog and have followed for a few years when you first brought your little one home. I especially loved your state facts!