Sunday, November 29, 2015

Dirty (i.e. Duwty)

In Alina speak, she does not usually like to be "duwty." But really it's situational. She'll put her clothes away in the laundry basket after changing them (almost to a fault, so I am washing clothes that have only been worn for 5 minutes by our clothes-changing girl) and she'll meticulously use a napkin or three at dinner time. But occasionally she'll get into a mess of her own making, and she doesn't mind it one bit. In fact, I think she enjoys it.

On this particular day, I was on a 23 minute phone call in my room. It was important, and I couldn't be interrupted. David was lost in a book on the couch. Alina asked him to open the bucket of flour in the kitchen. He obliged (without thinking of the consequences of that sweet little request) and went back to being lost in his book. He was so lost, that he didn't notice his sister spreading flour all over the living room until he got a scoop of it dumped right next to him on the couch.

Guilty--Miss Flour Power had a really good time.

David was a little put out that his sister made such a huge mess, and really put out that he had to help clean it up. This was a lesson in "guilty by association." He didn't make the mess, but he enabled it by opening the bucket without thinking about what would happen. So he got to stick with me while we cleaned up the mess.

Meanwhile, Alina was a little busy body. While we were cleaning the flour from between the cracks in our wood floor, she climbed up on the kitchen counter, opened the cupboard and somehow this ended up on the floor below her.

The cocoa powder made me grateful for two things . . . one is that is smells so good. The other was that I didn't have this all over my living room. The flour by the cupful was much easier to clean up than a few Tablespoons of cocoa powder. Alina got to sit in the tub and wait for me while I cleaned up the chocolate.

All in a day's work, right? These kinds of things just happen. I refuse to get upset over a 2 year old mess. I would much rather laugh about it now and later.

No comments: