Sunday, December 30, 2012

Merry Christmas 2012

As we went to bed at midnight on Christmas Eve, I was truly worried that David would go downstairs without us knowing about it, and have his whole Christmas morning by himself. I was really worried that Sam and I would miss all of the fun! It turned out to be partly true--David woke up, and we didn't hear his footsteps until he was coming back upstairs. He burst into our room with all kinds of excitement as he said, "Mom and Dad! Santa came! Can I come cuddle with you?" I asked him if he had opened any presents or checked his stocking. "No, I just had some egg nog." I ate it up that our little guy wanted to cuddle with his parents in bed when the excitement of Christmas morning was waiting for him downstairs. And I was thrilled that he came to wake us up before he opened any gifts. Of course the excitement for Christmas morning soon overtook that cuddling, linger in bed time--but for a moment, it was fun!
David went through his stocking, and found the few gifts that would fit inside. When he came to the last pair of new underwear (what can I say, Santa is practical, too!) he looked up and said in a soft and disappointed voice, "But he didn't bring me a thermometer!" We encouraged him to look at the wrapped gifts Santa left with the stocking, and . . .
drumroll please . . .
Santa did bring him a thermometer after all!
Oh, it was a wonderful morning! Here's David helping Daddy open the present that had too much tape and a hand written tag.


David had a hunch that he was getting fireman gear (thanks to a knee that went through a gift while he was plugging in the Christmas lights one morning), and it is so fun to watch his pretend play with it!   
Have you ever seen 70 matchbox cars in one place? Add these to the stash David has, and we're well over 100! We all thought the stack was impressive.

1 comment:

Emily said...

We have a little boy here who LOVES firefighters too! We might need to get some firefighters gear as well. Anul nou fericit! V-am pupat!