Sunday, October 28, 2012

Davidisms--Oct 28

  • David has a few funny things he has renamed based on how he hears the words. If it's in his head that he is correct, he won't be persuaded otherwise. The example coming to mind right now is Lightning the Queen.
  • We were hurrying through Fred Meyer the other night, walking down the chip aisle when David noticed some bags of chips on the floor. They were propped against the bottom shelf, but sitting on the floor. He didn't like that. So he picked them up and tried to get them to stay. I tapped my toe, but he wouldn't be persuaded to come with me until those chips were back on the shelf. Clearly the shelf was too full, because they fell off the first four times he tried to put them up. The fifth time was the charm, though, when he leaned his whole body weight into the chip bags to get them to stay. I heard all 8 bags behind them crunch while he pushed with all his might. Turns out you can fit a lot more bags of chips on the shelf if you use the lean-and-crunch method. I hope whoever picks up those bags is planning to make a whole bunch of taco soup. Come to think of it, now that the moment of mortification is over, that customer probably should have been me. At the time, I was laughing so hard and trying to conceal it that I couldn't think straight like that. Maybe the next time the chip vendor won't leave it up to a 3-year old to finish the job of making sure all the chips are on the shelf. Oh, and the little boy helper? He was absolutely pleased with himself. "Look mom! I got them to stay! I served them! Those chips did not belong on the floor like that, so I served the store. Do you think they feel happy when I serve them? . . . "
  • David is very excited to be Spiderman for Halloween. He doesn't even remember the candy part yet! The dressing up is fun enough for him. He wore his costume around all day on Thursday, then I finally peeled it off of him to throw him in the shower. I came back to check a few minutes later,  and what should my wondering eyes find? David in the shower. With nothing on but his Spiderman mask. It was absolutely hillarious.
  • Sometimes this little boy likes to be contrary just for the sake of being contrary. We were asking him to finish his dinner tonight, and he really didn't want to. He was whining and moaning, and making up reasons about why he was full of dinner, but he still had room for dessert . . . and we were doing our best to not respond to every whine. In his desperation, he dramatically pulled out a really whiny voice and said, "But I don't want to eat dinner! I just want to go outside and mow the grass!!!!" Huh? Ok, you can do that, buddy--but wear your parka,  because it's in the teens, and the grass is crunchy from ice, and it's really dark. It gave us a good laugh.

1 comment:

amy said...

I would have totally taken David up on the offer to mow the grass. :) BTW I am so in for a roommate cruise. I would be so happy to see you all again I think I would laugh and cry at the same time. Maybe we should cruise to Alaska :)