I love the way we take care of the secular celebration on Saturday, then on Easter Sunday our hearts turn to the sacred and reverent meaning of the holiday.
On Sunday morning, David and I watched some of the Bible Videos from lds.org that showed the events in the Savior's last week on earth. It was humbling to watch it with David, so acutely aware of the pain that Jesus suffered on our behalf. I was hesitant to show David too much of the suffering, simply so it wouldn't scare him--so we watched just enough for David to understand that Jesus got "owies" from those who wanted him to die. In family night last week, we talked about the resurrection in the form of a glove analogy I heard in Primary when I was a little girl. With the reminder of that lesson, David was able to understand a great deal about Jesus' death and resurrection. His understanding was really evident while we watched the movies and discussed what was happening to Jesus. The gospel is so simple to children!
On Sunday evening we had friends over for dinner, then we made garden tombs out of salt dough. This was an idea I got from my brother's family last year, and now it is part of the Easter traditions in our home.
| Can you see that sunlight streaming in behind us? This picture was taken at 8 pm--and we are so glad for that glorious sunshine! |
We got the basic design down, then David layered on piles of salt dough and added the landscaping at his leisure. It was a very forgiving project for his little hands--the more he added, the better it looked!
Happy Easter!
or, as the Romanians say when they greet each other on Easter,
Person 1: Christ was resurrected!
Person 2: It is true, He was resurrected!
2 comments:
An absolutely gorgeous picture of you Carmin! I love how happy David is as well.
You are cute with your salt dough. I like it.
... and....not only is the story of Jesus kinda "scary" for kids, how about the entire scriptures. I never know quite how to adress Abenadi, Ammon, all the wars, killing ect. I take by faith that little ones can process all of that. My daughter Jenna always says, "I like the killing part."(which kinda frieks me out)
It's great the gospel is so amazing, yet so simple a child can understand!
Post a Comment