Sunday, January 29, 2012

Numbers

58*--temp of water in stainless steel bottle that sat next to the front door all night
43*--temp of cold water coming out of the faucet (no wonder my beverage of choice at restaurants is "water, no ice")
37--percentage of decrease in my patience with stopping to pick up icicles or snow when the temp is freezing my nostrils together.
20--number of minutes it takes our car to get the needle off the "C" at which time I crank up the heater. Thank heavens for a remote car starter!!!!
12--number of times I was in and out of my car last Tuesday, with the warmest being -11* Did I mention that I love my remote car starter?
5:08--amount of time by which the sunlight increased today.
2.7*--average temp in Anchorage for the month of January, 2012.
-5*--temperature at the gym just 15 minutes later and 2 miles away--because we're hardy enough to live in a cold pocket of town (reference below to -18*)
-10*--the temp where my face can tell it's 10 below or colder, because my nostrils freeze together.
-18*--temperature as we left our house at 8:15 am
-21*--the coldest we've seen it on our car's thermometer this week. 

It's turning out to be not only one of the snowiest, but also one of the coldest winters on record.
Maybe I should test my husband's spontaneity and book a trip to Hawaii next week. Maybe I should test my own and book it for tomorrow.

* in farenheit

7 comments:

evamarie said...

I got cold reading your post!
You can come and visit us!! It's a really rainy day today so the temperature is a cool 72. That's a cool day! You're welcome here anytime!!

Ioana said...

Holy Cow, that's COLD!!!! I'll enjoy our nice 30's for you!:)

Unknown said...

I know what you mean...we are freezing! We've been here in Alaska for a few weeks now and everyone says it isn't normally this cold, but I'm not sure if I believe them.

Monica said...

Too cold for me by about 100*

Logan and Tanya said...

I double-dog dare you to test Sam's spontaneity! :)!

Dionne said...

I'm with Tanya :) Monica's comment is hilarious, of course. Matt was laughing out loud about your finely tuned and highly calibrated nostrils -- he wants a pair of those for work!

We've been hearing about your record cold ##s -- this was a fun post to read. READ, not experience :)

Emily said...

Wow! Come south- it's not quite Hawaii but we've got weather in the 70's, free lodging, and excellent playmates :)