Sunday, October 23, 2011

Grandma and Grandpa the Great

We recently traveled to Utah and Idaho to visit family--I'll do several detailed posts with all the fun we had there. But first I want to highlight the reason we all came together--it's because of these wonderful people:
 He is 91. She is 90. They have been married 67 years. They have 12 childlren, 88 grandchildren, 187 great grands. They know each of us by name, they love our children and spouses, they know where we live, and they keep up with our lives. We love them dearly.
 
 Grandpa the Great is still strong enough to offer horsey rides to the youngest crowd. David loved it as much as I remember loving it when I was small.

Every year Grandma and Grandpa hold a family gathering around BYU Homecoming. The schedule is always the same--Pizza and chatting on Friday night, Saturday morning devotional, field games up the canyon, then everyone goes to the BYU Homecoming football game. All of the college age grandchildren are invited with their spouses. This year there were over 100 of us gathered.
The Arizona blood runs deep in their veins--thinly, but deep. So any time they are in temps that dip below about 60 degrees, you will find them bundled up like it is the dead of the winter. (It's taken me years to thicken my blood for colder climates--because these are my roots!)
We love you, Grandma and Grandpa the Great! Thank you for the heritage and all the fun memories you bless us with.

2 comments:

Logan and Tanya said...

LOVE this post, Carmin! It's a perfect summary of them!

Dionne said...

Oh! Can I have those pictures of Grandpa for my post that is still coming? That is a treasure!