Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Taking Turns

I couldn't see David while he was playing alone the other day, but this is what I kept on hearing:

David: Counting to 10.
David: "David's turn!"
David: "Yeah David!!" and clapping.
Near-silence for a minute or so.
Then repeat the sequence, beginning with 1 . 2 . 3 . . .

After this went on for several minutes I peeked around the corner.

David had the cushions off and he was jumping on the bare couch. I was thrilled to realize that he was practicing taking turns for the trampoline at the gymnastics arena we frequently visit.

Or maybe he was basking in the fun of every turn being David's turn. No waiting on someone else to finish jumping.

We have daily outings these days for David to expend this kind of energy. In one big surge, he seems to be more of a rough-housing, jumping, bouncing, all-boy-kind-of-boy. My friend told me it was normal, that 2 years is a time when testosterone surges in a little boy's body, and that's where his little boy-ness is accentuated.

Yup. We're right there at that surge. I can't wait for warm weather to hit so we can give this boy some good backyard playtime.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Yeah, our couch takes a beating too. Those cushions just make too good of an obstacle course to resist and the bare springs are perfect to jump on...I often hear the tune of "No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" being sung while this is happening. *sigh* Someday we'll update our furniture, just not now. :)

Monica said...

Love this little negotiator! He is so cute...definitely ready to take turns with Lil O...come visit Sunny AZ!