Tuesday, August 25, 2009

While we were gone . . .

Our trip back East concluded in Washington, DC--where of course the highlight was our temple sealing to David. We are grateful for the friends and family who made the effort to join us at the sealing, and then at a small luncheon following. We had Sam's family, my sister and brother-in-law, and a few of my dear friends from when I lived there seven years ago. All of these people made our day all the more special!
Rewind to ten days before our return trip, and we were greeted by two lovely little cousins who stayed up a little past their bedtime so they could meet Baby David. Elyce and Evelyn were good little helpers the whole time we were in Ohio, and it was fun to have the three Sponseller grandchildren get better acquainted.
And as you can see here with these photos of Evelyn, both of the girls were very intent on helping Baby David as much as they could. Bath times and feeding times were a family affair (and David loved it)!
Sam's parents live in the heart of Amish country. Every time we visit, we are treated to a tour of the area. I love to see their simplicity and the old-fashioned ways the Amish people thrive on. Here is David's first experience with a high chair. It is Amish made--very appropriate for Pappy and Nana's dining room.
I was taken with how big my baby looked, sitting up in a high chair, gnawing away on a carrot. It made me want to hold on to his small-ness a little longer. He didn't last very long in it, because not all of his muscles are accustomed to sitting up straight for long periods of time. But it kept him busy for a few minutes while we ate!

The trip concluded with a day of walking around the National Mall, taking in the sights and the monuments.
It was very fun to be back at my old stomping grounds. I stood on the South side of the Lincoln memorial and pointed out my old office building in Rosslyn and my apartment building in Pentagon City. I have very fond memories of this city. I would love to go back with lots of time to spare, and I hope to give Sam an "insider's" tour of the town.
For a day, it was fun to be back in the whirlwind of the nation's capital city.

No comments: