First, our birth mother's family was so kind to us. They made the week that we welcomed our first child to our family very special. We started the week together in the delivery room. By Friday night, Sam and I were able to attend a session at the temple with her parents while birth mother cared for David in the lobby. Afterwards, they treated us to the Crab Pot--a restaurant that gave us a table full of seafood to enjoy (literally--a table full!).

Between birth and placement, we stayed in our birth mother's home town. We were graciously hosted in a private apartment over a neighbor's barn. I wish we had a picture of Andy and RoseMary, but instead I will share with you the master piece they gave to David as a momento of those who love him because they love his birth mother. Isn't this quilt to die for?!? I plan to put it up as a wall hanging behind his crib once we have everything organized. Oh, it's not a quilt. It is affectionately called a "woobie" in those parts.
After placement, we stayed with my mom's cousin, Cheryl. It was such a treat to be among family, and to see the Andersen traits shine through in Cheryl's kindness and hospitality. She and her husband Dave blessed us with some very fond memories.

One of my former mission companions--Emily Hart Cummings and her husband, Jeremy--were in the area, and graciously had us to dinner. They are expecting their first baby in 6 weeks, so it was especially fun to introduce them to David. I don't have a picture of the visit with the Cummings, but I have to say that Emily came through for me with a fresh outfit after our first diaper bag crisis--lesson learned on not having enough changes of clothing with us at all times!!(And my vision for keeping a decent sized diaper bag vanished that night.)
We were also able to travel to Puyallup to visit my former roommate and her family (Kirsten and Daniel Wells), and she invited over another roommate that lives in the area (TJ & Danielle Hoisington). It has been 10 years since I have seen these girls--and I loved loved loved spending time with them and their families. We were roommates for three years while attending BYU. Now we have eight children between the three of us.
5 comments:
I am glad you are back, we are dying to see you! And why did you call a taxi? We would have happily picked you up at any hour!
Carmin! What a sweet, beautiful story! I am so glad I was invited to read that--I'm so so excited for you, and the way you described the whole experience and situation was beautiful, it brought tears! Loved the phrase, "Our gift to her, her gift to us" So sweet. He's beautiful--can't wait to watch him grow. Congratulations, mommy and daddy!! Your hair looks fabulous too, by the way.
Carmen..I am so happy for you guys..I can't believe Kirsten lives in Puyallup..considering that is where I am from. That is so crazy..Anyways..Congrats!!
Oh, Mommy Carmin! I'm so thrilled for you! David is gorgeous--those delicious cheeks! So happy you're all home safe and sound and in love. Bravo on your detailed accounting of the whole precious experience. Write on! You are wonderful! Best to Sam and kiss David! xo
carmin, i love the fact that you post all these wonderfull pictures it warms my heart. i know that the lord was at work when you were blessed with David. i have been blessed when we got to meet and share the love for your "birth angel" it is comforting to know that you and Sam can share in this format. keep up the good work love you guys bunches p.s. will you kindly pass on the the grandparents that we loved their letters also
Post a Comment