Sunday, February 21, 2016

So far this year . . . David

 David David David. What a boy! He is so filled with curiosity and wonder that I feel worn out with his questions . . . or more often, his explanations--of how he perceives that things work in his big wide world. He can talk a mile a minute when he's excited to explain how a machine works. Or he can read at 10 miles per minute for hours on end if left to his own devices. He also enjoys building things with Legos, Snap Circuits, and Magformers. It looks like I'll have to get some photos of his creations. Really, a photo will never do this boy justice. He is constantly in motion and a video is really the only way to capture his essence.

The curriculum we are doing this year is based in classical education. Which means we are learning geography, as well as lots of memorization of historical facts. Both of us are enjoying the process of learning these things together. I can show you where the Senegal River is in Africa. So can David. He has a wonderful memory, so I'm happy to see that he's filling it with good things.

Sometimes when I feel like he has cabin fever from being in the house too long, I have to send him outside for a prescribed amount of time. At first he usually protests because he doesn't have anyone to play with outside . . . but it doesn't take long for him to be pulled into the great outdoors. He likes building things in the creek which has oddly gone through multiple freeze/thaw cycles this winter. He'll find a log to bang, or on this particular day he climbed on top of our permanently disabled vehicle and cleared it of all the snow. In David's wildest dreams, he would have an entire vehicle to dismantle. Now that we know that the junk yard won't take this vehicle because of the low price of steel right now, maybe he'll get his wish this summer.

The end of January brings this boy another year older and wiser too. This year he chose to go swimming for his Birthday family activity. We tried the local indoor water park, but it was unexplicably closed the night we had set aside. So instead we headed over to Dimond High Swimming pool. He has since started swimming lessons at that pool, and I am happy that he is growing more confident in the water.

I can hardly believe that this boy is 7 years old. Wow. Time flies.

Apparently I am short on photos with my boy--but not for lack of effort on his part. Just today I deleted 214 selfies David took with the exact same pose in a matter of just a few minutes. Dear iPhone, next time can you please make a way for the camera feature to be placed behind the security code? It would save me a lot of hassle in deleting photos and videos of my kids. Thanks!

David is currently reading the Book of Mormon on his own. He reads it aloud to me each day, and has some very thought provoking questions about the details of what he is reading--which tells me that his comprehension is there. This is my favorite time that we share together each day.

David loves a good cuddle with his Mom. I remind myself that this won't always be the case, so I try to hold him close when I can. While Alina naps in the afternoon, we work on school work together. If he is writing at the table, then I try to be there with him. I have been learning calligraphy from online tutorials, so it's kind of fun to sit at the kitchen table while both of us work on our handwriting exercises.

I love this boy. He stretches me to be the Mother that God wants me to become. David is articulate in expressing his view, and I appreciate when he reminds me of what is most important. We constantly work on appropriate delivery when it comes to emotions, but David is really improving in his awareness of his feelings. I am happy to see this progress.

No comments: