David was so excited to go ice skating for his birthday this year. As per tradition, we started the celebration a few days early and went on a family outing. We did this same activity for his 4th Birthday. For some reason, his memory of ice skating was such that he was anxious to do it again. We encouraged him to branch out last year and choose a different activity, but he's had birthday activity planner's remorse since he did. So this year there was no question--we were going ice skating!
David made two laps, and fell about 19 times. Or more.
For the first 14 falls, this is what he looked like after he got back to his feet. He was a real trooper and kept trying to stay up.
But after about fall number 14, David was growing weary of falling all the time. Next time we'll put him in pads. I could hear the thud of his little bones with each fall, and I knew it had to hurt.
Meanwhile, this one stayed on the sidelines with Daddy and was achin to strap on a pair of skates.
When we came to the Ice Chalet two years ago, Alina's birth mother had just contacted us by email, and I had written her back. I had set my heart on the fact that we might not hear from this birth mother ever again, so I had really braced myself to go on as if nothing had happened. Sam met us from work at the Ice Chalet, and told me that right before leaving work he had checked our email, and there was a very nice email from LW. My heart absolutely sung as I skated around this rink that night. Maybe, perhaps, possibly, it might be that this birth mother would stay in contact with us. I had nothing but 2 emails, but suddenly my guard was down. What if she chooses us? What if it's a baby girl? What if . . . what if . . . the possibilities swirled around my heart as I raced across the ice. My head was in the clouds, and my feet not much steadier. It was so fun to be back with Alina in tow and relive the excitement of the news that a birth mother had contacted us for the second time.
Right before we got off the ice (after only 2 laps), we convinced David to stand in for a picture with us. I was worried that David would become unsteady and that I would fall while holding Alina. Thankfully, everyone stayed upright while we captured the moment.
Once we had our shoes back on, we went down the hall a bit and found Baskin Robbins for a little birthday treat. Alina was not shy about helping herself to our ice cream with her tiny pink spoon.
David's birthday was two days after our ice skating activity. In all seriousness, he awoke that morning and said, "Well mom, I'm six now. I think if I go back to ice skate today that I won't fall as much, because I'm older now." I hope we make it back there soon, buddy, so you can start racing around the ice just like you want!
No comments:
Post a Comment