Thursday, January 8, 2015

Reading Time

In the last month, David has read 3 novels written at a fourth grade level. He reads because he loves it. I'm happy to read with him any time he wants, but his reading has taken off out of his own interest, and not because his mother has pushed it. (We're too busy pushing the writing side of our language arts curriculum.)


Most of his reading is done under his blankets after he's supposed to be asleep. I had to laugh this night, because he fell asleep before he switched off his flash light.

I love the idea of a kid that loves to read. I even support staying up late occasionally to finish a story. But first there has to be a certain maturity before I can get fully behind it. If you want to stay up reading buddy, that's fine by me. But come morning time, I need to see a smiling happy face to greet a new day! So we're trying to find that balance--where he feels like he can read a few minutes before bedtime, but it doesn't alter David's disposition the following day.

1 comment:

Dionne said...

All fun posts, Carmin! Alina's hair is so pretty - and good for David for being a reader! Good luck with that balancing act :)