We had our annual Christmas Nativity night with friends. We are so grateful that friends will join us for this to help us "beef up" the number of cast members. This year we had Jon and Hannah Moses and family, Kenny and Lindsay Weston and family, and Brandon and Emi Grimshaw with their cute kids. I'm usually too busy hosting to get really good photos, but I managed to snap a few this year.
Also, I keep trying to find a script for the nativity that works with small children. The verses from the bible seems too abbreviated for the children to understand their parts. We used one published in the Friend Magazine this year, but that was even more abbreviated. I don't want a long one--just a script where everyone has a cue to enter and exit. Anyway, it seems like the actual "acting out" is a bit out of sorts--but I think the kids had fun anyway.
David really wanted to be an angel again. At the last minute, I couldn't find my costumes so we improvised with only a few costumes and a few pieces of fabric between 13 kids. Pretty simple, and it still worked.
In the middle of the chaos, Alina went over and sweetly picked up her dolly from the manger. Her little heart was broken when one of the kids corrected her (I don't remember who, maybe it was her own brother), and she felt like she had done something wrong. All she wanted was her dolly. It was the kind of broken heart where she left the scene, crawled to her Daddy, and started bawling once she had her head on his shoulder. She was really confused . . . it was her dolly, after all! Anyway, Mary was sweet to her Baby Jesus, even if he was wrapped in a pink blanket.
After the quick nativity scene, we pulled out the pipe chimes my parents sent us for Christmas this year. They are made of electrical conduit cut to size to match tones, each one has a number. The kids and adults enjoyed playing a few Christmas carols together before we enjoyed our cookies together.
Alina loves Baby Briggs! I don't know if she woke him up or if he was already awake, but before he left to go home, he was lovingly patted and tucked in by our sweet Alina. She was rewarded with a super-sized smile, Briggs style!
No comments:
Post a Comment