Monday, August 11, 2014

My Workers

 This is our first summer in our new home, and it feels like the summer season is too short for all of the projects that need our attention during these months. One thing I've done is build a small flower garden in front of my house. Alina was a good helper.

This girl loves to feel pretty and dolled up. Her favorite outfit is a fluffly skirt. But then she also allows herself to get dirty when the occasion calls for it.

Here's the wall I built with Alina playing in the dirt. I intend to put on one more layer of brick, then add enough top soil and mulch to fill it, then add a few plants. I'll at least get some bulbs in the ground before it turns cold--maybe next summer I'll put in some perennials and annuals.

Who needs flowers when someone this pretty adorns my garden?

The rocks behind Alina are the ones that line our creek. Oh, how I love that little creek!

Alina was grabbing dirt by the handful and throwing it behind her.

She eventually made her way over the wall completely.

Then she took a break to help David gather weeds.

We have a very weedy lawn. I've tried to tackle it--and I have a small patch of weed-free grass for my efforts. David is a good helper with collecting weeds that I pull out. Sometimes he'll grab our dandelion picker (behind him in photo) and uproot a couple dandelions himself--but usually he gets easily distracted and doesn't do more than two or three at a time. He's better at focusing on a pile of already picked weeds that need to go into his bucket.

 Kind of funny--between the next two photos, Alina high-centered herself on the brick wall. She figured it out eventually, but she was puzzled when she couldn't pull or push herself out of her predicament.


I hope we get a few more sunny days so I can finish my little garden spot with my workers at my side!
August feels so busy, just by looking at the calendar. I went to find a date night for Sam and I to go out this month--just once--but the entire month was full. Some of our days are busy, but mostly it's the evenings and weekends that fill up so quickly. So I intend to finish my little garden before it turns cold.

I'm not sure how many other projects in the yard will get our attention, but we're doing some fun updates on the house as well.

1 comment:

Loryanne said...

I'm so happy to see her crawling! I've been wondering how mobile she is.