Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Bike

On one recent Saturday, Daddy and David had the goal of putting fresh tubes into David's bike tires. Typical of our Saturdays, the day filled up--so the bike was not tended to until just a few minutes before bedtime. David was thrilled to have a rideable bike--now all he had to do was learn how to stay up and pedal.

Much to David's credit, he willingly set the bike aside for the evening, knowing that he wouldn't have another opportunity to learn how to ride his bike until Monday morning. It was one of those moments as a mother that reminded me that David is growing up, and he's beginning to understand some of the things we have been teaching him. He didn't even question the bike issue on the Sabbath--he just waited.

I was excited for him to get back on the bike as soon as he finished his chores on Monday morning. I was inside still finishing my chores, expecting to join him outside shortly to help him learn. About 20 minutes after David went outside, he came running back in shouting, "Mom! I can do it! I can ride up and down our street really fast! Come watch me!" Wow! Another moment of seeing David's maturity--he stuck through a hard thing of teaching himself to balance, and he kept on getting back up without a complaint. I was so proud of him, and glad for the tremendous satisfaction he felt in teaching himself to ride his bike.

This bike had training wheels on it, but when David decided that they were crooked and in the way, he promptly removed them. Thankfully, that's all that was removed. Until a later date, when he tried to fix the seat. Thankfully, Daddy was able to reattach the seat after David took it off. 

 It is now one of his summer time highlights. (He especially likes to leave tire track marks on the pavement as he rides in and out of these puddles.)


I feel so grateful that we have a short street that ends in a culdesac, and that I have a boy who respects the boundaries he's been given for riding his bike.

Family night on that Monday evening had all of us outside to watch David's new talent. This is Sister Amy Russell holding Alina--she joins us for family night about once a month. We love all that she brings to our home when she comes over!

Alina was excited for David's success--she kept squealing her approval of his newest trick.

No comments: