Thursday, March 6, 2014

One of Us

Alina has a slight whimper/whine if she feels like life is happening around her and she isn't being included. This has been especially common at dinner time, so for the last couple months, I have held Alina in one arm while eating with the other hand. She held still and was content through the entire meal. 

This past week I thought her back might be strong enough to try her again in the little high chair. I put her in the chair and wrapped a scarf around her middle to offer a little more support. She was happy as a lark, watching everything while I prepared dinner. She played with her toy, watched her brother with sparkles in her eyes, and was very happy to be "up" where she could see everything going on. She was feeling like she was one of us from her new perch.

When we all came to the table to sit down and eat dinner, this little girl started squealing like she was the luckiest girl alive. "Everyone is coming to join me!?!" Oh, how I love the way her eyes sparkle when she looks at those she loves.

And just for good measure, those legs tense up and stick out straight in front of her for emphasis. She shares her happiness from head to toe--with her whole body!

 It's official--we now have a dinner table with four family members around it.

 Alina has been watching food go from plate to mouth for a few weeks now. She intently watches the back and forth, up and down motion of my fork. One evening we were having applesauce, so I offered some to our wee one. She knew just what to do, she leaned in to the spoon and opened up wide. The applesauce went in. And it came right back out. I don't know if it was flavor, texture, temperature, or a combination of all three--but since then, she purses her lips tightly whenever a spoon comes near. She'll stick with that creamy bottle of Enfamil, thank you very much. 
Can't even say how happy I am that this little girl is elated to be at the table as one of us.

No comments: