We're in to our new home.
All of our things are here, and we're kind of unpacking.
I was so pleased with myself that I packed overnight bags with enough clothes and toiletries to get us through two days. That way we wouldn't have the same panic as our previous move out of Norm Drive when we woke up Sunday morning and couldn't find any of the Sunday morning essentials.
It worked! We could shower and dress without a single hitch. Then David asked for breakfast. It took 1 1/2 hours to find a spoon to eat his cereal. Next time I'll pack a food box as well as our overnight bags.
Some sisters came over, and we used two years' worth of Magic Erasers just to clean the kitchen. And once the shelves were lined with paper, I felt a huge burden lifted because I could move in to my kitchen.
I was so pleased with myself that I packed overnight bags with enough clothes and toiletries to get us through two days. That way we wouldn't have the same panic as our previous move out of Norm Drive when we woke up Sunday morning and couldn't find any of the Sunday morning essentials.
It worked! We could shower and dress without a single hitch. Then David asked for breakfast. It took 1 1/2 hours to find a spoon to eat his cereal. Next time I'll pack a food box as well as our overnight bags.
Some sisters came over, and we used two years' worth of Magic Erasers just to clean the kitchen. And once the shelves were lined with paper, I felt a huge burden lifted because I could move in to my kitchen.
We have a few projects to finish--namely, finishing a hardwood floor and laying carpet--before we move in to our main floor. But we're home.
This is our fourth home in four months, and we are ready to feel settled into a permanent space.
The wild card with this home was that we weren't allowed to turn on the water before we took ownership. So while the foreclosure looked very promising, that's still kind of a big wild card. We ended up calling a plumber in to look at a suspciously behaving toilet, and he pulled out a full size pencil and a long comb (left by the previous owner). Sam patiently worked with another toilet that was leaking from the tank, and now we have 3 fully functioning bathrooms! Now about the hot water that fills our toilets--we'll fix the regulator valve sometime soon, but for now we're grateful that everything works.
The wild card with this home was that we weren't allowed to turn on the water before we took ownership. So while the foreclosure looked very promising, that's still kind of a big wild card. We ended up calling a plumber in to look at a suspciously behaving toilet, and he pulled out a full size pencil and a long comb (left by the previous owner). Sam patiently worked with another toilet that was leaking from the tank, and now we have 3 fully functioning bathrooms! Now about the hot water that fills our toilets--we'll fix the regulator valve sometime soon, but for now we're grateful that everything works.
The race is on to get the home ready for our final adoption inspection before we go pick up our baby girl in MN. The thought of wanting to bring a newborn home to everything set up keeps me at the projects. Like pulling carpet staples out of the subfloor until 11 pm, hours after exhaustion sets in. My knees hurt, my back hurt, and my fingers were shredded from grabbing at the pokey staples in dim light. Or pulling the dryer out at the end of a long day to reattach the vent pipe. We want baby girl to come in to a home, so we keep on keepin' on.
1 comment:
Holy cow! 4 homes in 4 months? That's crazy! You're doing awesome at getting everything ready.
Ps I might've published my comment as anonymous for the other post. Sorry!
Post a Comment