Friday, June 28, 2013

USS Anchorage

At the beginning of May, the USS Anchorage came into town to be commissioned as the Navy's newest "amphibious transport dock." Being a Navy family (Go Navy, Beat Army!) with 2 of our grandparents, both of Sam's parents and one of Sam's brothers all serving or having served in the Navy, I thought I would brave the crowd to go tour it. We invited along Tyler and Brynlee to join us.

Unfortunately, we were only a few of the several thousand that attempted to get into the tour. And they were running 15 tours, with only 75 slots in each tour bus on 2 consecutive days. So we didn't get on the boat like we had hoped. After waiting in line for 20 minutes, and realizing the sheer numbers were going to prevent us from stepping onto the ship, I suggested to the kids that we go check out the ship from a distance, and just take pictures of it in the water. I knew of a spot to go, and while they kids weren't excited about missing a chance to go onto the ship, they at least were good sports about our change in plans.

We enjoyed instead a little time outside climbing in trees, and a view of the ship in port. (You'll have to look very very closely--but it's there!)
 And a few token pictures of the boy in a tree. When you're 4, I don't think there are many things better than climbing a tree.


We feel so grateful to be part of this great nation, and to have the liberties we enjoy because service men and women are trained and ready to defend the liberties that we hold dear.

No comments: