We had quite the move. We put 90% of our things in storage until we find another house to buy, and now we are staying in a 1-bedroom apartment for a few weeks. The move was intense overall. After the moving truck left, I looked around in the corners of my house and wondered why I still had a house full of stuff. Frankly, I felt overwhelmed while I sorted through that last 10%--which took at least as many hours to do as the first 90% that was already tucked away. Here are a few things I want to remember.
- The shed needs to be cleaned out and sorted before the moving truck shows up.
- It's difficult to clean out the shed when you get 28 inches of snow between the time you accept the offer and your moving date (which were only 4 weeks apart).
- It's difficult to meet the schedule of the inspector, appraiser, repair technicians, re-inspector, then the final walkthrough while you pack up the house in 4 weeks. I don't think we'll do another 4 week closing.
- We had a few things that made this move harder than it needed to be--like the house phone got transferred to a cell phone before the cell phone was in working order, and the electricity company confused our request and turned off our electricity 2 days early.
- It was a tremendous help to have friends watch David while I did a power hour of packing and cleaning. Now I know how to offer service.
- Our dear neighbor, Jerry, stopped by to say goodbye to David. He called him, "my little buddy Davey" every time he saw him in the yard. As a nod to the many times Jerry was out grilling and he passed a package of hot dogs to David through the fence, he brought over one last large package of hot dogs for the littlest neighbor that I think he'll miss.
- In spite of it all, we finished. And we left a clean house for the next family. It took a tremendous effort, but we did it.
No comments:
Post a Comment