Sunday, March 10, 2013

Iditarod 2013

On Friday, March 1 David and I went to a downtown hotel to what was called a "Meet and Greet" with some of the mushers. It was a question/answer forum, with a few refreshments, then a chance to meet the mushers afterwards. It wasn't as kid friendly as I had imagined, but at least David was quiet while the mushers spoke and he enjoyed a plate full of cheese, crackers and fruit. 

After the presentations were done, we waited in line to meet some of the mushers. Most notably, the entire Seavey family was present. We met Conway Seavey (Jr. Iditarod champion 2012), Dallas Seavey (Iditarod champion 2012), Mitch Seavey (Iditarod Champion 2004), as well as Jeff King (4-time Iditarod Champion) and a few others. We were waiting in a line that had formed, only to find out that the mushers were talking to people from another line. So I didn't feel too badly (since technically we were in line) when David wanted autographs and went up to each musher's conversation and waited patiently for his turn. I had my camera, but unfortunately the memory chip was gone from it--but let me try to repaint how it went down.

David would approach a conversation between two adults--one of them a champion musher. He would wait patiently. When you're four and you're trying to wait for a break in the conversation, the best way to make sure you catch that break is to stand real close, look up at the adults and watch them talk. It didn't take long for the grown ups to look back and David, probably wondering why he was standing there. This appeared to David like it was his turn--so he stuck out his paper, and said, "Can I please have your autograph?" in his sweet four year old voice. He had to repeat himself at least once with every musher, and at least 50% of the time he handed his paper to the correct grownup in the conversation. (Sometimes he handed it to the non-musher, and there was a little confusion.) I absolutely loved watching his confidence and purity. He didn't know enough to be star-struck or intimidated, but he still felt like he wanted their autographs.

I also got to meet the wife and mother of the Seavey champion group--Janine. What a lovely lady! She is genuine and beautifully presented, and I understand she has homeschooled her 4 boys so they could live the life of dog mushing. I really enjoyed meeting her.

The only other notable moment of the evening was when David was petting a dog that was in the room and he loudly announced "We can't have a dog. My mom is allergic to dogs." That half of the room grew silent. Some were even shaking their heads, saying, "tisk tisk." I found it quite comical, and in my mind I thought, "He said I was allergic to dogs, people--not that I have a strange communicable disease!" Clearly some (many) in my midst thought I had a fate worse than death. But what could I expect! I was in a room full of mushers and their fans, so I was the odd one out. I just smiled sweetly when everyone turned to look at me, and I reminded my son that dogs like their fur petted down, not up.

(Just for the record, I grew up with dogs. We bred and raised beautiful labradors. My dog allergy has only manifested in the last few years, and it seems to bother me mostly with indoor dogs. In Alaska, all dogs are indoor dogs--so David has only seen my reaction in this climate that doesn't allow for outdoor pets. An outdoor dog is not out of the realm of possibility in our family's future--but it will have to be in a different climate.)

On Saturday we went to our usual spot to watch the ceremonial start to the race. And had a great time. One of the questions that came up in the meet and greet on Friday was whether or not the mushers like the ceremonial start, or find it to be a waste of time and energy right before the big race. Jeff King fielded that one, and he said that he loves it! He would much rather have a leisurely pace through town and stop and greet fans than the way it used to be. He said until 1997, it was a race through Anchorage to Eagle River, then each musher had 4 hours to pack up his team and be in Willow for a continuation of the race. He described is as "We were a traffic hazard, one and all!"
It was a glorious, sunshiny day! Temps were mid-30's, temps above freezing were a real treat. There's nothing like the first few warm(er) days with brilliant sunshine after a long Alaskan winter. 



This year as a sled passed by, I called out "booties!"--and I got a pair thrown at me. The mushers put booties on their dogs to help their feet in the cold, and they change them out often. So the booties they throw to fans are the ones they have already used. Turns out that they're smelly little things. (I've washed them and hope to send them to my nephew Spencer, who loves following the Iditarod.)

Last year David took off across the "open field" behind us that is really a frozen pond. This year's warm temps made that pond more wet than frozen. I was glad when he left the field alone and instead entertained himself with this small sledding hill.

David moved all over our little area while we watched the mushers go by. I stopped him before he tried to throw a snowball at a passing team, so he amiably turned to just cheering them on from this little perch. David is one that likes his independence in places like this. Often times I have to keep a hold of his hand so I don't lose him to his curiosities while we are in crowded places. It was wonderful to have so much roaming space for him where I could watch him with a 360 degree view, and let him have the space that he loves.

Daddy even helped him get a few hand slaps as they passed by.

Happy mushing, dogs! We'll be tracking the results with you online.

No comments: