Sunday, December 30, 2012

Big Enough, Little Enough

Lately I have had a gripping fear that someday we will truly miss David at this absolutely hillarious stage, and that our memories will not do him justice. I want to bottle him up--most of the time. He'll be four next month, and that is so much older than three!
  • He's big enough to insist on opening the door for me when we go in to church every week, and small enough that once we're settled in to our pew, he lays his head on my lap while I rub his back.
  • He's big enough to stop an associate at Home Depot and tell her everything he knows about water heaters (90% accurately, in a 5-7 minute breathless monologue) and small enough that he tried to roast a stick in our water heater flame, just to see what would happen. (Thankfully, not much can happen when Mom is standing just a few feet from you. And this brings me to the fact that he was big enough to understand my explanation of the danger in what he was trying to do in that curious moment.)
  • He's big enough to flawlessly play Twinkle Twinkle, Jingle Bells and Mary Had a Little Lamb on the piano, and small enough that he sings at the top of his lungs while he makes up original music at the piano. It's one of the times when his little boy heart comes out in its fullest capacity!
  • Big enough to give himself a shower without any assistance from the grown ups, and small enough that every time he flushes the toilet, he opens the toilet tank lid to watch everything work. (I'm so grateful for a climate that has unlimited water and a flat-rate water bill. While I don't encourage David to waste it, I'm also not on edge about how his excessive interest in all things water will hit our pocketbook in our monthly water bill.)

No comments: