Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunny Minutes

I was going to call this post Sunny Day, but we haven't seen one of those yet.
Our mantra of "Drop it and play" is really necessary this summer, as the sunshine disappears behind clouds often. It peeks out, gives us beautiful blue skies and warmth, but only for a few hours at a time. The storm systems have been rolling in one after the other, so the sunshine doesn't stick around much.

One evening this week caught us in the perfect summer weather--sunny, no wind, and 68 degrees outside. We chose yard work to fill our evening, and it was wonderful!
I will add that it's hard to go to bed on nights like this--the sun is beautiful, the air is warm, and we bid it good night, only to wake up to gray skies and cold temps in the morning. (One morning this week was 41 degrees!! I dropped Sam off at work,  then came home to a cold house. I checked the thermostat, and lo and behold the whole system was off--Sam was so encouraged by the sunshine of the evening before that he had turned off the furnace. I know it's June, but as long as I live in Alaska, my heater is run by the thermostat and not the calendar. At 41 degrees in the morning, I need heat in my house.)

So it helps us to feel grateful when we can enjoy the sun and its warmth.

No comments: