Thursday, March 8, 2012

Training

We have some good things going on at our house.
Like growing up things.

Such as potty training.

Now that David is potty training, he has a few more experiences in his belt.
Come to think of it, so do we.

David, with his truly independent spirit, is very much in control of his potty training efforts. If I try to assist him, I am met with "I need my privacy, Mom."
"Oh. Okay."
Then I back out of the bathroom and close the door.
And David fully utilizes his "privacy" time.
With things like inspecting the toilet tank. He opens the lid, fiddles with the hose that refills it, and when we find it spraying up at the lid instead of down into the tank, we understand why we have a puddle of water surrounding our toilet.
And we breathe a sigh of relief that it's not really a leaky toilet. It's just a misdirected hose. One that illustrates David's personality to a T--because if a boy with his curiosity learns how to use the toilet, you better believe he is going to figure out how every last part of it works. His interest in exploring--not just using--the bathroom has exponentially increased in the last few weeks. And when interest in our home loo started to wane, there's always plenty to figure out about public restrooms.

This litte boy hasn't had an accident yet while we have been running errands. Because his bathroom at home is old news to him by now, and he loves to see what the public bathrooms look like all across town. Our record was going to the bathroom seven times in 2 hours of errands. It was an experience that turned me brave.

One funny story is that on day #2 of potty training, David threw up for no good reason. He wasn't sick--but he lost his lunch.

Which has caused confusion in the signals his body is sending him.

We were in the produce section at Fred Myer's when he loudly announced, "Mom, I need to throw up." Really, he just needed to go potty--but he was still straightening out what the different signals meant that were coming from his body. This happened several times before I caught on that David simply had his lines crossed. I think we're doing better now and he knows the difference between the two.
So it's another bit of evidence that David is growing up.
And while he's at it, he's learning to dress himself.
And doing a really good job at it.
We're proud of you, little buddy!

No comments: