Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ward Campout 2011--LaDaSa

 We left town last week to enjoy the church-owned camp with ward members for a night.
It was a good time--and warm weather was a plus!

After dinner, there was a dutch oven cobbler bake off I participated in. My creation didn't win, but it was fun to make! The dutch oven I used was borrowed, so now I want to get one to experiment with it a little more.
 This picture was taken precisely at midnight--which also happened to be at dusk. The ward talent show had just ended, and our little guy was enjoying the homemade ice cream--it went perfectly with the piping hot cobbler being served up at the same time. David went to bed right after this picture, and he woke up with the sun at 5 am. We begged him to go back to sleep, and he finally drifted back to dreamland at 6:30. We didn't stir again until 8:50. These Alaska nights that stay light are killers on the bedtime--for big and little kids alike. At home, we manage to keep a routine that gets us to bed. When we are cabin camping, we just have to go by the sun.
David had a good time like usual. Apparently I didn't get any pictures of him running around the field or getting rides in  the wheel barrow. But we had our camera down at the lake. We weren't expecting to go down to the lake, so we weren't entirely prepared for it. The score was shovel, pail and sandals--3; life vest--0.
 Daddy helped David take a little "dip."
 While I grew up swimming in lakes in Arizona, the lakes of Alaska never appeal to me. Maybe it's the leeches? Or the water temperature? Whatever it is, I definitely prefer a canoe to enjoy a lake instead of taking a swim.
 This is the third year we have done this campout at LaDaSa as a ward. We love the tradition! Each year has been very unique in ways, but a few things remain the same--beautiful country, late nights, boards for beds in the cabin, and a yummy camping breakfast to wake us up in the morning. I'm sure we'll be back again next year.

2 comments:

Logan and Tanya said...

Looks like perfect fun!

amy said...

Fun campout. Although I have to admit...what is this about leeches? There are leeches in the rivers in Alaska? What? I thought that was a jungle thing. If there are leeches, then you would definitely see me in a canoe as well. I love canoeing so that wouldn't bad at all. Love that David. Life of the party!

BTWo--I did know that you worked at Aspen Grove, and I thought about you while I was there. We loved it and we would do it again. :)