Sunday, March 6, 2011

Showcasing our 2-year old

Tonight we had the Elders to dinner. David turned up the energy level before, during and after their visit. He wanted to drum while we were chatting, he ran around purposely running into walls to hear himself create a loud bang, and we had a hard time convincing him to eat his dinner. He wanted to stay where the action was--with our guests--so of course he didn't want to go over and play nicely while the adults talked. When he grew bored (read: saw the attention had turned away from him) while eating dinner, he kept putting his feet on top of the table. Sooooo not okay with this mama. The crowning moment was when he slowly raised his foot above the table to show all of us that he was succesfully holding his fork with his toes. It was such a "Ta-dah!" moment for him. For me, I still giggle at the memory. I hope he didn't see us laughing so that trick won't appear again at our table. As the Elders left, one of them said, "Sleep well, David. Your parents are going to be happy when you go to bed." I had to laugh--mostly because it was true. I was worn out.

On Wednesday night we had a missionary couple in to our home to complete our adoption home study for our ongoing adoption paperwork. Before they came, I talked to David about taking turns in talking at the dinner table, and that we need to respect our guests. Part of the couples' job was to see us as parents--so our parenting felt like it was on parade a little bit.

David read the memo. He was absolutely charming. He finished his dinner without incident, and he let the adults talk without trying to interrupt. As we finished dinner, Daddy asked David in a very excited voice, "David, do you want to go to bed!?!" To which David replied with an emphatic "Yes!!!" It was so unexpected and it brought the rest of us to doubling over in laughter. He stayed in his bed the first time we put him down, and that was the last we saw of him for the evening.

Thank you, little buddy for making it all look fun and easy on the night it counted.

6 comments:

Logan and Tanya said...

That's my perfect David! :) Love that boy!

Glora said...

Wow, your little David is growing up. I'm so glad he listened to you for the extra important guest visit. Whew. Lots of love - Glora

Grama said...

As we read Ioana's blog we noticed the names Sam and Carmin and wondered, "Could this be our sweet Carmin who was such a blessing to us as we served in Romania?" We have often wondered where life has taken you since we saw you on your wedding day. The Hardcastles would love to hear from you once again. We are happy to read about your special blessings!

Unknown said...

Sure a cute little guy

Roxie said...

Oh goodness Carmin, I loved this post! So funny and so cute. I can just see that little David putting a fork in between his toes and showing it to everyone at dinner. aren't kids the greatest? That is too funny. I'm so glad he behaved himself when it counted!

amy said...

Ha, Ha, I think me and Davied would get along famously! When I eat dinner at my house all of my kids run around the table and sing songs...eating...there is no eating dinner. I have given up on that idea, me Dave just eat with ears plugged.

So, are guys looking to adpot again, is that what I can gather about the missionaries coming to visit. That is great that they come and visit and make sure that all of the kids go to good homes, but I have to chuckle when I think that they are there evluating you. HELLO, Carmin you are the epitome of everything I want to be in mother. Just have the missionairies write me, it would be done deal. :)