Where: The neighborhood schoolyard
Date and Time: December 27 at 3 pm (see that gorgeous sunset!)
Who: Just our family
What: Free sled rides--unlimited for the 14 minutes we could stand to be outside in 12*
Apparently David was dressed more warmly than his parents--he was all smiles the whole time and cried only when we hinted at going back to the car.
Don't worry, little buddy--we'll go sledding again. When it warms up to a balmy 20*.
When we moved to Anchorage someone told us that cross country skiing is the perfect winter activity "when it warms up to 20*." Gasp. "Warms up to 20!?!" Now I can say that my blood has thickened to these Alaskan winters. I understand! Twenty degrees is glorious weather for outdoor winter fun. If I'm just running in and out of stores, I don't think of buttoning my coat unless it lingers around 0* F.
We held on for all of December to find a day when it reached 20* so we could take David sledding. Granted, even if it had reached warmer temps, we couldn't have gone before we did--so maybe it was good that December was so cold. On the 27th, we finally gave in and took him in spite of the 12*. It was short and sweet. And cold.
No comments:
Post a Comment