Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween . . . Traditions

Since we have been examining every corner of our life over the last several months (as part of our adoption study) I have often thought about the traditions that cement our family. Even a family of two needs traditions! Of course many traditions are much more exciting once little ones grace the scene, but I am determined to not let any more time pass in our family without establishing some new traditions (and recognizing some that we already have!). They may change in the coming years as our family changes, but who knows . . . they also just might become tradition.

Of course holidays are the perfect time for traditions! And one of our most consistent traditions is our weekly date night as a couple. Friday nights usually find us together--we try to steer clear of other commitments as often as possible (although we are open to double dates with other couples). So Friday being Halloween and date night, it was the perfect time to enhance our family tradition.

We take turns planning date night, and this holiday landed on Sam's turn. He was very good about planning a fun evening--our very own Halloween Carnival. He even considered my current weight loss efforts, as you can see with the banana that replaced the donut on a string! And it helped that a last minute Star Trek costume came through so Sam could answer the door in costume for the kids that braved the 12 degree cold. We ended with Audrey Hepburn's classic "Wait Until Dark". It was a great start to establishing more traditions!

3 comments:

Miner Notes. said...

Hey Carmin! How are you? I love your blog. It is fun to see what you guys are up to. I like your Halloween tradition ideas. We need to do some things like that around here. Good luck with adoption!! I think it is wonderful. I have been able to help some families complete foreign adoptions in Texas and it is wonderful!

Monica said...

A Halloween Carnival?!...and who is the one that has usually been the events coordinator/planner? I sure do wish I was there to carnival with you! How fun!

Oh, Sweet!... said...

What a fun night! I loved the bananas! Sure miss you! I'm excited for your new adventure and will pray for you! You two will make the best parents! I can't wait!
Love you!